Dancing With the Cars.........by Joyce Oroz

Today I am going to race from my favorite cake recipe over to a stash of race cars and high-end wheels you won't believe. If you can locate Scotts Valley on a map of California, you can find the Canepa Car Museum where dozens of fabulous cars are displayed indoors. Wipe your feet, cause this place is pristine. The cars are beyond yummy! Ever see a 1949 Bentley Mark V1 Woodie? How about a 1922 Battistini Buick or a 1993 Jaguar XJ220-33-OMG123 ......A 1984 Lamborghini Countach?
These dazzling automobiles are only half the story--the quiet luxury half, spotlighted and pampered on the first floor of the museum-sales showroom.
Moving up to the second floor of the Canepa Museum, we find dozens of race cars in mint condition and large hanging signs above each one giving the history of that historic car, it's races and who drove--such at Steve MeQueen. Not making that up! Everything from an Indian Scout Flat Track motorcycle, to a 1959 Lister Costin Chevrolet, to a 1995 Ferrari 333 SP, to a 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix NASCAR! But that's just for starters and the histories of these cars are impressive.
I remember watching Paul Newman on the "big screen," racing his car around curve after curve, holding my breath and pushing my right foot into the floor. When I was old enough to drive, it was my old bulky 1952 Pontiac convertible that swerved and squealed around the turns. My hometown got a little snow about every five years, so naturally I tried out my car on snow, even though the canvas top was permanently in the "down" position.
I don't know if it's "my generation" or if all generations are fascinated with the beauty and ability of automobiles. All I know is, I recently made another trip to Canepa's and now I have visions of beautiful cars dancing in my head. Josephine would love this place!
You will find the Canepa Museum at 4900 Scotts Valley Drive, Scotts Valley, CA--just off Highway 17.

How about this little number with parachutes coming out it's back end?

0 comments:

Post a Comment